The Claim and Our Verdict
- The claim: A video circulating online claims to show Hong Kong’s Jumbo floating restaurant sinking at sea.
- Fact-checking: The video does not show genuine scenes but rather a digital simulation of the Jumbo floating restaurant sinking at sea.
- Our verdict: This visual effects video does not show genuine scenes of Hong Kong’s Jumbo floating restaurant sinking at sea.
A video was shared July 6, 2022, on Facebook. The video appears to show Hong Kong’s iconic Jumbo floating restaurant sinking at sea. The caption, written in traditional Chinese, translates as follows: “This seems to be the footage of the Jumbo floating restaurant sinking at sea.” The post may mislead the public to believe that the footage is a genuine video of the sinking of the iconic restaurant.
On June 23, 2022, the Hong Kong Marine Department issued the following press release: “According to the information provided by the ship owner, on the night of June 18, when Jumbo was being towed by ocean-going tugboat ‘JAEWON 9’ in the vicinity of Xisha Islands in the South China Sea, Jumbo capsized due to adverse weather. At present, both Jumbo and the tugboat are still in the waters off Xisha Islands. The ship owner will continue to follow up on the incident.”
According to an article published June 24, 2022 by Hong Kong’s Cable News, the vessel has not completely sunk into the water, and part of its hull was still above the sea.
A reverse image search found a YouTube video published June 22, 2022, titled “Sinking Jumbo floating restaurant at sea.” The Facebook video was captured from the first 15 seconds of the YouTube video.
The description of the YouTube video states that the video is a digital simulation. The description of the YouTube channel also reads, “A VFX and motion design behind the scenes showcase channel.” The video, therefore, does not display genuine scenes but rather a digital simulation of the iconic restaurant sinking at sea.
As of the publication of the current report, a keyword search did not return genuine footage of the Jumbo sinking at the sea. According to the news report, the capsizing of the vessel was still under investigation.
This visual effects video does not show genuine scenes of Hong Kong’s Jumbo floating restaurant sinking at sea.
- Facebook, post, July 6, 2022.
- Facebook page, “Jumbo Kingdom.”
- Hong Kong SAR government, “Marine Department’s response to media enquiries on Jumbo Restaurant Boat,” June 23, 2022.
- Cable News, “Exclusive: Visiting the tugboat company to solve the mysteries of the sinking of Jumbo floating restaurant—It was too difficult to carry out salvage works,” June 24, 2022.
- Facebook, post, July 5, 2022.
- Twitter, tweet, July 5, 2022.
- Weibo, post, July 2, 2022.
- YouTube, “Sinking Jumbo floating restaurant at sea,” June 22, 2022.
- HK 01, “Jumbo floating restaurant: Expert says it is difficult to sink the boat and Marine Department may not approve,” June 28, 2022.